return to Honors English Daily Calendar (click back arrow)
Short Story Unit
Hurtful Words - Story: “Marigolds" by Eugenia Colliers
- Pre-reading Journal Reflection:
Why do we sometimes choose to use words that hurt others?
Reflect on a time when you were hurt by what someone said to/about you.
Why did it happen? What was the end result?
Instructional Purpose (IP): “Why am I Reading This?”
- Search for connections between new and known information. Specifically make a connection between the text and the following:
- Your life (e.g., a summer time story of trouble; family life)
- Your knowledge of the world (e.g. the Great Depression Era)
- Your reading of another text (e.g., this character, this scene, this story reminds me of…)
- Vocabulary Development
- Demonstrate the ability to orally interpret a selection of literature through public reading and to extend a discussion by adding relevant information or asking pertinent questions